Roasted Honey

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thankfulness, Day Four (Delayed)

I'm thankful for colors.


"I do not like a mono-chromatic world, Sam I am, I do not like..." Ok, so that didn't work out as I thought it would :( Oh, well.


Color (or even the absence of) has a lot to do with my life. I mean, come on! I'm going to major in Art! (Lord willing)

I'm not sure what the world would be like without color, but there's a movie that I think pins it pretty good. It's called 'Pleasentville'. It's about a brother and sister (Toby McGuire and Reese Witherspoon) getting transported from the modern world into an old TV show where everything is perfect- as long as it's all in black and white.
Well, when Mcguire and Witherspoon start telling everyone about things outside of what everyone took for granted, people and places begin to change into color. The main point of the movie becomes 'everyone is different, there shouldn't be a cookie cutter that everyone is made from'. 
All of that to say that color is a way to express ourselves. And we should express ourselves, not necessarily to the point of argument (I'm a little bit of a pacifist) but enough to be different from everyone else. God created each of us with different likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses.
Just because I can't do a million backspring-y things in a row(like one of my friends), knit up a storm(like another of my friends) or play the most complicated piano music in the world(yet again, like one of my friends) doesn't mean that He gave everyone else talent and skipped me.
He has blessed with every spiritual blessing from above so that we may bring Him glory, not ourselves. And I believe that God really is most glorified when we use all of our differences together.
Yes, I am very thankful for colors. :)



Think of something that needs color or variation, something that wouldn't be the same without it.

I think of music. What kind of world would we live in without different kinds of music? I like so many different kinds that I think I'd hate to live in a world with only classical, country, pop, or oldie music by themselves.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Better Together - Jack Johnson